Imitation No Cook Low Calorie Kala Jamun Recipe
For the festive season ahead, presenting an imitation, Low calorie No cook Kala Jamun Recipe which is Vegan, Grain free and Gluten free as well.
Kala Jamun is a very popular Indian sweet. “Kala” means black in Hindi. This sweet ball has a very dark outer cover and hence the name kala or black. This is similar to another famous Indian sweet Gulab Jamun which is lighter in color.
I call this No cook Low Calorie Kala Jamun Recipe an imitation one since it is similar in appearance to the original kala jamun. But it will not taste the same as the original kala jamun as the ingredients are totally different. Kala Jamun is made using milk solids. It is deep fried and then soaked in sugar syrup.
The key ingredient is fresh coconut. For a beautiful pink color, I have added some grated fresh beetroot. This dessert can be eaten as it is. Just to give it the same look as Kala jamun, I have covered coconut balls in a dough made of cocoa powder. You may select any sweetener of our choice like maple syrup or honey or even dry sweeteners like jaggery or sugar. Only thing is that if you pick a dry sweetener, you may need to add some extra moisture in the form of milk.
This is a no cook recipe requiring staple pantry ingredients. Easy to make and visually so beautiful, I am sure you will try this healthier variation of the popular Indian dessert . If you do so, please let me know how it turned out for you.
If you want to check some more healthy festive dessert recipes, then please do check the below
If you want to be part of my journey towards wholesome wellness, then please subscribe to
Imitation No cook Kala Jamun Recipe
- Vitamix Blender
Ingredients for the Ball
- 2 cups grated fresh coconut
- 1 cup grated fresh beetroot
- ½ cup maple syrup or, use honey for a non vegan option.
- ½ cup coconut or almond flour you may use milk powder for a non vegan option.
- 1 tsp rose water
- ½ tsp salt
Ingredients for the outer covering
- 1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup maple syrup use honey for non vegan option
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp any vegan milk
How to make the balls
- Add all ingredients except coconut flour to a blender jar.
- Pulse for a few times till everything is well combined and comes together.
- Take it out into a dish.
- Add coconut or almond flour
- Mix well to form a dough. If the dough appears moist, add some extra coconut flour. If it is too dry, then you may add a little milk.
- Take about a tbsp of dough and make balls. This recipe will yield 20 balls.
- You can even eat them as it is.
- Keep the balls refrigerated till further use.
How to make the outer covering
- Add all ingredients except milk and vanilla extract to a microwavable container.Microwave for a minute or two till coconut oil melts.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Add milk and mix everything gently.
- This will nicely form into a smooth dough.
20 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories88
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 5.63g 29%
- Sodium 53.39mg 3%
- Potassium 150.06mg 5%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 3.71g 15%
- Sugars 53.39g
- Protein 1.63g 4%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.