Homemade Sandwich Bread with Semolina
There is no greater joy than baking your own bread and seeing a perfect loaf coming out, Rising tall, tasting delicious. So get set to baking your own Bread with this very easy and healthy recipe for Homemade Sandwich Bread with Semolina.
It has been my personal mission to omit refined white flour from as many recipes of mine as I can and substitute with better Carb sources.
This is my favorite bread recipe so far since it requires just basic ingredients. I have been baking my own bread for over 20 years now and this recipe is a favorite of mine. I have tested and tried this recipe multiple times and is a fail proof recipe for sure.
This recipe calls for fine Semolina which is also known as Durum flour. This recipe uses just five basic ingredients for this perfect white sandwich bread loaf.
In southern India, Chiroti Rava is a better known term for fine Semolina. The hindi name for Semolina is Suji or Rava. If fine Suji or Rava is not available near you, you can finely grind the coarse variety which is more easily available everywhere.
Semolina Vs. Refined Flour
Even though Semolina is made of flour, it is considered better than refined white flour since Semolina is a high protein flour made from coarsely ground durum wheat. It is considered a high-protein flour (21 grams of protein per cup vs 16 grams of protein per cup for regular flour, per the USDA) and it also packs higher concentrations of minerals like iron, zinc, potassium and phosphorus.
Semolina benefits weight management, heart health and your digestive system.
Due to the high concentration of carotenoids in the wheat, Semolina is slightly yellow in color. This recipe for the perfect Homemade Sandwich Bread with Semolina is from my bookmarked recipe.You may check some other Bread recipes of mine here and please also leave your comment and let me know if you tried this recipe and how it turned out for you.
Homemade Sandwich Bread with Semolina
- Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer
- 3½ cups Fine Semolina. You can grind coarse Semolina and use.
- ¼ cup Powdered Milk
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1½ cups Water.
- 1 tsp Yeast.
- 1 tbsp Brown granular sugar.
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil or any oil.
- Add yeast and Brown sugar in a Bowl.
- Add 1 cup of lukewarm water.
- Make sure that the water is lukewarm. You can touch with your finger and feel it. Or use a thermometer. Temperature should be between 100-110°F or 37-43°C.
- Set aside yeast mix for about 5 minutes or till yeast becomes frothy.
- In a large bowl, take semolina.
- Add powdered milk to Semolina.
- Add Salt.
- Add activated yeast mixture.
- Option 1-Knead with hands for about 25 minutes. Add 3 tbsp of oil in short intervals while kneading.
- Option 2-Knead with a stand Mixer.Use dough hook and knead at speed 6 for about 12 minutes. Add 3 tbsp of oil gradually.
- After kneading, cover the dough and keep aside to rise. Depending on the climate it may take from 40 minutes to 2 hours.
- The dough should become double in size after 2 hours.
- Punch the dough to remove air pockets.
- Spread on an oiled surface.
- Shape into a loaf.
- Grease a Loaf Pan.For this ratio, a Bread pan of 8×4 size will be ok.
- Put the dough in a greased pan.
- Let the dough rise again for half an hour.
- Brush with Milk.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F/200°C for about 30 minutes.
- Take it out of oven.
- Brush with Butter.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Cover with a cloth napkin or towel to keep crust soft.
- Uncover once the bread is completely cool.
- Slice and enjoy a perfect sandwich loaf.
16 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories171
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.4g 2%
- Sodium 160.64mg 7%
- Potassium 69.15mg 2%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.42g 6%
- Sugars 0.83g
- Protein 5.75g 12%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.