No-Fail Recipe for Instant Oats Rava Idli
Idlis are a breakfast favourite even outside South India. Here is a quick and easy recipe for Instant Oats Rava Idli.
Starting your day with a hearty and healthy breakfast helps to jumpstart your metabolism.
This is my go to recipe when I am in the mood to eat Idlis but do not have the regular idli batter handy. Or, this is a perfect recipe when you are short of time or when you have to make something unplanned for guests.
Idlis need no introduction. The process of making Idli involves soaking, grinding, fermenting and steaming a batter of rice and lentil.
Idli is a type of savory rice cake originating from the Indian subcontinent and is a popular breakfast item from Southern India.
There are several variations of Idli. This variation of Idli is an instant version and is made using Oats, and Rava and hence is packed with nutrition.
Oats are among the healthiest grains on earth.
They are gluten free whole grain and a great source of important vitamins, minerals, fibres and antioxidants.
Make these Idlis in just a few minutes since there is no soaking or fermenting involved.
They make perfect school box snacks, weight loss breakfast, and make ahead breakfast.
They are great as a make ahead snack or breakfast. With a little variation, you can convert these idlis into great party starters too. Cut idlis into halves and toss in some Idli podi (also known as gunpowder) and serve with any Dip.
You can also make small cocktail idlis and skew them.
Make and serve this Instant Oats Rava Idli with chutney of your choice. Enjoy a healthy, wholesome, nourishing, hearty Breakfast.
You may check other breakfast recipes of mine here.
Instant Oats Rava Idli
Ingredients for Idli
- 1 cup Semolina/Rava/Suji. Use the regular thick semolina.
- 1 cup Rolled Oats. You can use instant Oats.
- ½ cup Yogurt.
- 2 cups Water.
- 1 tsp salt.
- ½ cup Grated carrots.
- 1 tsp Fruit Salt or Eno. Use 1/2 tsp Baking Soda plus 1/2 tsp Soda Bicarb in place of Eno.
Ingredients for Tempering
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil.
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds.
- ½ tbsp Urad Dal.
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal.
- 2 tbsp Cashew Nuts. Broken into small pieces.
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves.
- Heat Oil.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When seeds crackle, add Urad Dal and chana Dal.
- Add curry leaves.
- Add broken Cashew Nuts.
- Saute everything for a few minutes till cashew nuts turn light pink.
- Turn off flame and keep tempering aside.
Instruction for Idli
- Roast Semolina till it turns aromatic and light pink in color. Add to a Bowl.
- Roast Rolled Oats on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Grind Oats to fine powder.
- Add Oats powder to roasted Semolina.
- Add Salt.
- Add Yogurt.
- Add Water.
- Make a Thick Batter. Let this batter rest for 10 minutes.
- If you dont want to use Eno or Fruit salt or baking soda for this recipe, you can let the batter ferment overnight. The steps after that remain the same.
- Add tempering to the Batter.
- Add grated carrots.
- Add Eno or Fruit Salt. You can use Baking soda and Citric Acid in equal proportion in place of Eno.
- Fill Water in Idli Maker and let Boil.
- Grease and keep Idli Moulds ready.
- Pour Batter in moulds. After mixing Eno, don't keep the batter for a long time.
- If you dont have idli mould, use and bowl. Grease and fill batter in bowl.
- Sprinkle some steamed green peas on top.
- Cover and Steam for 12 minutes.
- Uncover and enjoy hot idlis with chutney of your choice.
14 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories114
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.41g 3%
- Cholesterol 0.26mg 1%
- Sodium 268.38mg 12%
- Potassium 112.37mg 4%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
- Sugars 0.94g
- Protein 4.05g 9%
- Vitamin A 6%
- Calcium 2%
- Iron 6%
- Magnesium 8%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
You must be logged in to post a comment.