Lauki ke Gatte ki Sabzi, Bottle Gourd Dumplings Curry
A Rajasthani preparation, Lauki ke gatte ki sabzi is a delicious twist to the regular Gatte ki sabzi.
Bottle Gourd or Lauki is one of the healthiest vegetables out there. Include lauki in your diet to replenish the body with essential nutrients and fibres without popping pills.
Lauki or Bottle gourd is also known as Ghiya or Doodhi in Hindi and as Chorakkai in Tamil.
Due to its bland taste Bottle gourd combines well with other ingredients and it absorbs any flavor very well.
The recipe credit for this recipe goes to Papa Mummy Kitchen – Marwadi. I have tried to make Lauki ke Gatte ki sabzi as shown in their channel.
Gatta means cooked Gram Flour/Chickpea Flour dumplings. Lauki ke Gatte is different from Lauki ke kofte even though the same ingredients are used in both of them.
Koftas are deep fried whereas Gattas are boiled in water. This automatically increases the nutrient quotient of Lauki ke Gatte ki Sabzi.
Gatta means Dumplings. Usually for making Gatta, you need to mix Gram flour or Chickpea Flour with spices and water. Make Dumplings with this dough and then boil them and add to the gravy. In this variation of Lauki ka Gatta, add Grated bottle Gourd for that extra tenderness in the final preparation.
Regarded as one of the healthiest vegetables, Bottle gourd is a powerhouse of nutrients.
Serve this tangy and spicy gravy based curry with Steamed rice or Rustic Indian style Roti as your Lunch or Dinner Main course.
You can also saute the steamed Gatta in some oil by adding some spices and then serve as a dry snack.
Either way this Gatta tastes delicious.
You may please check some more curry recipes of mine here:
Lauki ke Gatte ki Sabzi,Bottle Gourd Dumplings Curry
For the Gatta
- 300 gms Bottle gourd/ Lauki Grated and squeezed. Go for the tender variety. After grating, loosely measure 2 cups.
- 1 cup gram flour/Besan
- ½ tsp cumin/ jeera powder
- ½ tsp coriander/ dhaniya powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder can use grated fresh turmeric too.
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp caraway/ ajwain seeds
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
Paste for Gravy
- ½ cup yogurt
- 2 tsp coriander/dhaniya powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1½ tsp salt
To Saute for Curry
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped or grated.
- 1 tbsp ginger grated.
- 2 nos green chilli
- 1½ cups onion. finely chopped.
- 1 cup tomato finely chopped.
Add at the end
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ cup finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Grate Bottle gourd and pass thru a muslin cloth to extract water.
- Don't discard the water. It can be used in gravy.
- In a bowl, take gram flour/Besan.
- Add remaining dry ingredients of Gatta.
- Add grated and squeezed bottle gourd.
- Make a soft dough.
- prepare cylindrical shape gatta about 5 inches long.
- Prepare gatta with remaining dough. This proportion will make 5 gattas.
- Boil 3 cups of water in a wide pan.
- Once it starts to boil, add gatta one by one.
- Let it cook on high for 2 minutes.
- Then cover and let boil for 8 more minutes. Turn off the flame .
How to make paste for gravy
- In a bowl, take yogurt and mix all other ingredients mentioned under paste for gravy. Mix nicely and keep aside for later use.
How to make Curry
- Heat ghee in a frying pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Add chopped green chilli.
- Add chopped Garlic.
- Add grated Ginger.
- Saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add chopped onions and saute till onion turns translucent. Don't let it become brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute till tomatoes become soft and ghee starts separating.
- Add Yogurt paste.
- Stir immediately to prevent yogurt from curdling. Cook till oil separates.
- Cut each gatta into 4-5 pieces
- Add to the gravy along with the water in which gatta was cooked.
- Also add the water from squeezed bottle gourd.
- allow to simmer for 2 mnts.
- switch off the flame. Then add 1/4 tsp garam masala and 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
6 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories125
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 1.59g 8%
- Cholesterol 8.03mg 3%
- Sodium 1031.18mg 43%
- Potassium 380.2mg 11%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 3.1g 13%
- Sugars 5.23g
- Protein 6.56g 14%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.