Beet Sabudana Khichdi, Vegan GF Breakfast
Beet Sago Khichdi is a tasty twist to one of the most popular breakfast items -Sabudana Khichdi of Maharashtra. Sabudana Khichdi is a popular dish during fasting in many states in Northern India.
Sago may contain fewer nutrients than other whole grains, but when combined with fiber-rich vegetables it may have potential health benefits.
Even though it is customary to consume Sago or Sabudana Khichdi during Navratri, it is a popular everyday breakfast item in the state of Maharashtra.
Extracted from the edible part of the tropical palm tree root, sabudana has been a staple food for people living in the Tropical regions for a long time.
Sabudana is pure starch and hence has a high carb content.What makes it healthy is it’s gluten-free composition and is naturally a great source of complex carbs.
Hope you enjoy this variation of Sabudana khichdi.
For more interesting fasting recipes, please check
If you want to join me on my journey of wholesome wellness, please do like, subscribe , follow fitnfast recipes on
Beet Sabudana Khichdi
Ingredients for roasting and grinding
- 1 tsp ghee or oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 Nos green chilli
- 1/2 cup peanuts
Ingredients for Khichdi
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup finely grated beetroot
- 1 cup Sabudana or Sago or Tapioca Pearls
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- coriander leaves
Make Peanut mix
- Add ghee to a pan.
- Add green chilli and garlic and roast for a few minutes.
- Set aside.
- Roast peanuts in the same pan till peanuts turn crisp.
- Wash sabudana thoroughly and then soak in water for 6 hours. The level of water should be about 1/2 an inch above the sabudana. This will ensure that the soaked sabudana pearls remain intact. Too much water will make them mushy in the final recipe. After 6 hours, there should be no water left in sabudana.
- Heat ghee and add cumin seeds.
- Add finely grated beetroot and roast for about 5 minutes.
- Add soaked sabudana and continue to stir till the sabudana seeds turn translucent.
- Add salt and lime juice.
- Add the ground peanut powder and turn the flame off.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with yogurt.
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories153
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 2.26g 12%
- Cholesterol 7.97mg 3%
- Sodium 213.78mg 9%
- Potassium 139.81mg 4%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.74g 7%
- Sugars 1.62g
- Protein 2.75g 6%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.