Vegetarian Pide,Turkish Flatbread
Pide (pronounced pee dae) is a Turkish staple which has a base of flat bread usually with a meat topping. Here is a Vegetarian recipe for Pide which will make you fall in love with this delicious Turkish Flatbread.
Pide generally has a long Boat-like shape with folded edges. Pide and its various varieties are wide spread through Turkey. In every city in Turkey, you can find Turkish Flat Bread shops that solely make and sell Pide. Pide is addictively good anytime of the day-for breakfast, lunch or Dinner.
Although it is street food, it is common to see people making it at home quite often specially for social gatherings and celebrations.
There are many variations of Pide which normally depends on the region from where it has originated.Usually, it is ‘açık’ or open, but it can also be ‘kapali’ which means closed.
Vegetarian Pide is a complete meal in itself since it combines carb and Protein in the form of meet. To convert this to a vegetarian version, I have replaced meat with boiled soya granules.
I love vegetarian pide since it is very flexible and there is no end to the type of topping that you may add. Unlike pizza where you have limited options to add as a topping, the toppings vary widely for the Pide. Even vegetarian Pide is quite common in Turkey. The toppings typically include but are not limited to onion, pepper, spinach, cheese, mushroom. I have also seen some recipes where the topping is made of cooked eggplant. Breaking an egg on top of meat and baking is also very popular which gives some added protein.
How to make the Dough
The base of Turkish Pide is a flat bread similar to pizza crust. But instead of using white flour, I have incorporated Semolina since the protein content of Semolina is higher than the white flour. Also semolina is a commonly available pantry ingredient in India.
Making dough for Vegetarian Pide is very simple. You just need to combine all ingredients and knead to form a smooth dough. Since I have used Semolina, it may take some extra time to become smooth. That’s why I prefer to use a stand mixer where you can dump everything and knead for 6-10 minutes.
I often use my bread machine to make any kind of dough. So today I used the machine to make the dough. If you are using a bread Machine, then you should add ingredients according to manufacturer’s recommendation. Typically it will be all wet ingredients first followed by dry ingredients. It is recommended to use bread machine yeast or instant yeast if making dough in a bread machine. If using active dry yeast, then activate it first by adding to lukewarm water (temp between 110-115F or 43-46C) once it blooms, then add it to the rest of the ingredients.
If you are kneading dough with your hand or using a stand mixer, then you can use active dry yeast by activating it first. Then add this along with all other ingredients and knead. Rather than adding 3 tbsp of oil in one shot, you can add in batches to help incorporate better into the dough.
You can follow the detail steps for making dough in stand mixer or by kneading with hands in my Bread recipe .
HOMEMADE SANDWICH BREAD WITH SEMOLINA
The base which I have made is similar to my Bread recipe. I have used the same ingredients. For some added protein, I incorporated whey protein powder in place of regular milk powder. But for a vegan option, you can use any vegan protein powder or even Almond Flour.
- Bread Maker
Ingredients for the dough
- 1.5 cups Lukewarm Water Temperature should be between 110-115°F or 43-46°C
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3.5 cups Fine Semolina also known as Chiroti Rava in India. If you don't have fine semolina, then grind regular semolina in a grinder and use.
- ¼ cup Milk powder or Whey Protein powder for vegetarian option. Use any vegan protein powder for a vegan option.
- 1 tbsp Granular Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Bread Machine Yeast or Instant Yeast. You can use active dry yeast as well. If using active dry yeast, then add it to 1/4 cup of lukewarm water. Keep aside for 5 minutes to activate. then add it to the dough.
Ingredients for the topping
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Finely chopped Garlic
- 1 cup Finely chopped Onions
- 2 cups Finely chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 cup Boiled Soya Granules You can grind boiled Soya chunks and use it if you don't have granules.
- 1 cup chopped Red Bell Pepper
- 1 cup chopped Green Bell Pepper
- 1 cup chopped Mushroom Adding mushroom is optional
- 1 tbsp Hot Sauce
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Soya Sauce Soya sauce is optional. This is added to give darker color to the mixture since traditionally the mixture is made of beef which gets a darker color once cooked.
Ingredients for Topping
- 2 tbsp Milk Use any milk either regular or vegan.
- 1 tsp Nigella Seeds To sprinkle on the edges
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds To sprinkle on the edges
- ½ cup Grated Cheese. You can use any cheese of your choice like Feta, Mozzarella, Fresh Mozzarella etc. Use Vegan cheese for the Vegan option.
- 1 tbsp any herb of choice like chive, oregano To sprinkle on top
- 1 tsp Red chilli flakes To sprinkle on top
Make the topping
- Heat a Pan and add olive oil to it.
- Add chopped Garlic.
- Add chopped Onions and saute for a few minutes.
- Add chopped Tomatoes.
- Cook for a few minutes till moisture from Tomatoes reduces.
- Add Red chilli powder.
- Add Boiled Soya granules.
- Add Red Pepper.
- Add Green Pepper.
- Add Mushroom.
- Add Hot Sauce.
- Add Salt.
- Mix and cook everything till mushrooms turn tender.
- Add Soya Sauce and turn off flame.
- Keep the mixture aside to cool.
Make the Dough
- Add all ingredients to the Bread Machine Pan according to the instruction of your machine. In my machine, I have to add all liquid ingredients first followed by the dry ingredients.
- Start the dough cycle on the machine.
- Let the dough prove.
- Divide the dough into 6 parts.
- Take one part and roll into an oval shaped flat bread. It should be slightly thicker than chapati (about 1/4 cm)
- Arrange on a lined baking tray.
- Spread the topping on the flat bread leaving about 1/2 an inch Border.
- Fold the edges, press corners to form a boat shape.
- Brush edges with some milk.
- Sprinkle and press Nigella seeds and Sesame seeds on the edges.
- Bake in a preheated oven @400°F/200°C for about 20 minutes.
- Take the Pides out and sprinkle some cheese
- Bake again for about 5 minutes or till the cheese melts.
- Take out and top with your desired herb and chilli flakes.
- Slice and serve hot.
12 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories291
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 1.12g 6%
- Cholesterol 11.7mg 4%
- Sodium 336.68mg 15%
- Potassium 309.36mg 9%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 4.1g 17%
- Sugars 3.99g
- Protein 13.9g 28%
- Vitamin A 6%
- Vitamin C 60%
- Calcium 10%
- Iron 7%
- Magnesium 9%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
You must be logged in to post a comment.