Palakkad Special Ela Adai, Steamed Pancake, Vegan Gluten free
Palakkad special Ela Adai is a traditional dessert from Kerala. It is an oil free, gluten free and vegan dessert.
It is common to make Ela Adai during the summer season when ripe jackfruit is available in abundance. Traditionally Chakka Varatti (thick jelly prepared with ripe jackfruit) is mixed with coconut to make the stuffing. But for this recipe, I have used chopped ripe jackfruit pods. If you don’t like jackfruit or if it is not available, then you can make the stuffing only with coconut. Or, you can use ripe large plantain (Nendra Pazham). For some variation, you can experiment with other fruits like apples or pineapples.
Traditionally the prepared dumplings or Adais are steamed in Banana leaf parcel which lends a very nice aroma to the recipe. But if you can not find banana leaves, then you can use parchment paper. You will miss the special banana leaf aroma but it is the next best thing in the absence of banana leaf.
Palakkad is famous for its special Brahmin cuisines. You may check my other palakkad special recipes here.
MANGO KADHI, MANGA MORKOOTAN FROM SOUTHERN INDIA
SWEET AND SOUR OKRA/ VENDAKKAI PULI PACHADI
VAZHAI POO USILI, BANANA FLOWER CURRY
I hope you will surely try this Palakkad special Ela Adai and let me know how it turned out for you.
Please also check my recipes on Instagram.
Palakkad special Ela Adai
Ingredients for the stuffing
- 1 cup Ripe jackfruit pods. This is optional. You can skip adding any fruit or you can add Nendra pazham (long plantain from Kerala). For some variation, try adding apples.
- 1 cup Grated fresh coconut
- 1 cup Jaggery
- ¼ cup Water
- ⅛ tsp Cardamom powder
Ingredients for the Batter
- 1 cup Idli Rice or any other variety of Raw Rice soaked for 4 hours
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- ⅛ tsp Cardamom powder
- 6 piece Banana Leaves or Parchment Paper-9×9 inch
Prepare the stuffing
- If using ripe jackfruit pods, then peel and cut the pods into small pieces. Please check the video if you want to know how to work with jackfruit pods.
- Add jaggery and water to a pan and let it boil.
- When it boils, strain into another pan and continue to boil.
- Add chopped jackfruit pieces or banana or apple and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the grated coconut and mix everything.
- Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Uncover and check if all the moisture has evaporated. If not, then cook for a few more minutes.
- Turn off the flame. Add cardamom powder.
- This stuffing can be stored in the refrigerator for upto a week. Can also be kept in a deep freezer for many months.
Prepare the Batter
- Grind soaked rice to a fine paste by adding water as required.
- Add cardamom powder and salt and mix thoroughly.
Make Ela Adai
- Cut about 9×9 inch pieces of Banana leaves.
- Remove the hard center stem to make it flexible.
- Wash and wipe dry the leaves.
- Wilt the leaves over direct flame.
- You can also wilt the leaves by dipping them in hot water for a few minutes. Or, you can bake them @200°c/400°f for 10 minutes.
- Wilting helps to make the leaves very flexible. That way they don't tear while rolling .
- Brush a little oil on a wilted leaf.
- Spread a ladleful of batter.
- Put a tbsp of the filling in the center.
- Fold the leaves from all 4 sides to make a parcel. Please check the video if you need help here.
- If banana leaf is not available, then you can do the same procedure on a parchment paper.
- Heat water in a steamer.Arrange all prepared parcels on a plate and keep in the steamer. You can also use idli mould.
- Cover and steam for 15 minutes.
- Remove all parcels from the steamer. Serve as it is (in the leaf).
12 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories138
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 2.09g 11%
- Sodium 23.8mg 1%
- Potassium 144mg 5%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.36g 6%
- Sugars 14.64g
- Protein 1.65g 4%
- Vitamin C 4%
- Calcium 2%
- Iron 4%
- Magnesium 9%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
You must be logged in to post a comment.