Saffron Millet Phirni, Kashmiri style pudding
The key ingredient for this Saffron Millet Phirni is Kesar or Saffron, famous as the most expensive spice in the world.
Thanks to my brother Ramesh for bringing me the aromatic saffron from his recent trip to Kashmir. I promised him that I would post a recipe using saffron. And hence here is a simple and healthier recipe for kashmiri phirni.which is a perfect and healthier dessert to finish off a scrumptious meal
Phirni or Firni is a traditional slow cooked pudding from Kashmir.Traditionally rice paste is the key ingredient in phirni here but for some variation, I have replaced rice with millet.
Hope you will try this variation of Saffron Millet phirni . Though you can use any form of sweetener, I have used monk fruit sugar to keep the calorie content low. And fr vegan option, you may use any vegan milk instead of regular dairy milk.
This recipe will yield 12 servings. Each serving will have 52 kcal with 20.36 gms of carb and 2.75 grams of protein.
For full recipe
To Pin Recipe
For more dessert recipes, please checkout
Website Link: https://fitnfast.org
Saffron Millet Phirni, a traditional Kashmiri Pudding
- 1/4 tsp Saffron
- 1.1 litre Milk divided
- ½ cup Proso Millet
- ¼ cup Monk Fruit Sweetener
- 1 pinch Cardamom Powder
- Take 1/2 cup hot milk. Add saffron and keep aside.
- Soak proso millet in 1/2 cup milk for an hour.
- Grind to a fine paste and keep aside.
- Heat 850 ml of milk in a heavy bottomed pan.
- When it comes to a boil, add the millet paste.
- Stir continuously till it thickens.
- Add almond flour and monk fruit sweetener.
- Add 1/2 quantity of saffron milk.
- Add cardamom powder. Turn the flame off and keep aside to chill.
- You can serve his phirni as it is. For some variation, you can line small tart moulds.
- Put about a tsp of saffron milk and put in the freezer to set.
- Then top with the prepared phirni and again keep in the fridge to chill.
- For serving, slightly tap to unmould.
- Serve chilled.
12 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories52
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.13g 1%
- Sodium 46.84mg 2%
- Potassium 73.3mg 3%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.05g 5%
- Sugars 2.35g
- Protein 1.29g 3%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.