Rajma or Kidney Bean Uttapam, Savory Pancake
Rajma or Kidney Bean Uttapam is a twist to the traditional Southern Indian breakfast-Uttapam., a savory pancake. An uttapam (or uthapam, uttappam, etc.) is a type of dosa from South India. Unlike a typical dosa, which is crisp and crepe-like, an uttapam is thicker, with toppings.
Rajma and Chawal (Rice) is a staple diet for many indians. This Rajma or Kidney Bean Uttapam recipe is a must try if you love eating rajma in a different form.
Usually rice and lentils go into the making of Uttapam . In this variation, Rajma replaces rice.
Rajma is an excellent legume that helps in stabilizing blood glucose levels as it is a good source of soluble fiber and low on the glycemic index.
The abundance of soluble fiber and protein in rajma is one of the best legumes for a weight loss meal plan. These beans keep you satiated, slow gastric emptying time, and helps in losing weight.
This recipe will yield 8 servings with each serving having 123 kcal with 21.86 grams of carbohydrate and 8.16 grams of protein.
You can use any vegetable of your choice for the topping. You can use traditional toppings such as chopped onions, tomatoes and chillies. Or, you can make it a little fancy by adding grated cheese or coconut and peppers.
Alongwith the goodness of Rajma, this is a fermented food offering multiple health benefits.
For more healthy breakfast recipes, please do check the following
MILLET PONGAL WITH CHUTNEY, BRAHMIN STYLE PONGAL
NO RICE IDLI, PROTEIN PACKED BREAKFAST FROM SOUTHERN INDIA
KONKAN STYLE KALINGANA POLO, WATERMELON RIND DOSA
If you want to join me on my journey of wholesome wellness, please do like, subscribe , follow fitnfast recipes and let me know if you have been enjoying my recipes.
Rajma or Kidney Bean Uttapamfitnfastrecipes
- Vitamix Blender
- cast Iron Griddle
Ingredients for the Batter
- 1 cup Rajma or Red Kidney Bean
- ½ cup Urad or white lentil
- 1 tsp Jeera or cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Black Pepper, crushed or whole
- 1 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
Ingredients for the Topping
- 1 cup cut vegetables of your choice (Onions, Tomatoes, Peppers, Green Chillies, Ginger) You can also use grated cheese or coconut for some variation
- Soak Rajma for 8 hours.
- Soak White Lentil or Urad for 4 hours.
- Drain water from Rajma and Urad.
- Add both to a blender.
- Add green chilli, ginger, cumin seeds, pepper, salt and curry leaves.
- Add a little water and make a smooth paste.
- Cover and keep aside the batter to ferment. Depending on the climate, it may take from 4 to 8 hours.
- Once fermented, gently mix. The batter is ready. At this stage you can even refrigerate the batter for later use.
- For making uttapam, heat a cast iron griddle.
- Grease with a little sesame oil or any cooking oil.
- Spread a ladleful of the batter and spread to make a thick pancake (about 5 inches in diameter)
- Add any vegetable of your choice as topping. I have used chopped onions, tomatoes, red green and yellow peppers, green chillies and finely chopped ginger.
- Add about half a tsp of sesame oil around the uttapam. This is optional.
- Flip and cook for a few more minutes till the other side is also cooked.
- Serve with any chutney of choice.
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories123
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.1g 1%
- Sodium 214.06mg 9%
- Potassium 398.26mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 4.81g 20%
- Sugars 0.77g
- Protein 8.16g 17%
- Vitamin C 3%
- Calcium 2%
- Iron 17%
- Magnesium 9%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
You must be logged in to post a comment.