Whole Wheat Ragi Chocolate Cake, Easy Vegan Recipe
This super easy and vegan Recipe for Whole Wheat Ragi Chocolate Cake is a healthy twist to regular chocolate cake. You can make this cake in a regular oven or on the stove top. Ragi is also known as finger Millet, Nachni, Kezhvaragu, Madua.
This recipe is a boon to all home bakers (which I am) since it does not call for any fancy equipment. Once the basic chocolate sponge is ready, it can be used as a base for any further decoration. You can even switch your professionally baked sponge or pre-mixes with this healthier alternative. A simple vegan chocolate glaze on top of this cake takes it to the next level.
The recipe is very simple. All you need to do is to mix wet and dry ingredients separately. Then mix both and bake.
Both whole wheat and Ragi are whole grains. And they both are staple ingredients in any indian kitchen.Ragi is widely consumed across South India and Maharashtra.
A whole grain is one which contains all three parts of the kernel – the bran, germ and endosperm while refined grains are processed to retain only the endosperm. This makes whole grains healthier as they contain the fiber-dense bran and along with other essential nutrients that are not lost due to processing. Ragi is one such super grain that has recently made a comeback.
For this recipe, I have used both whole wheat flour and Ragi. But the same recipe works if you want to make it just with whole wheat flour.
Other Healthy Bakes of mine
I love healthy baking. You may try some more recipes here and let me know how you liked them
I hope you will surely try this Whole Wheat Ragi Chocolate Cake and leave your comments.
Whole Wheat Ragi Chocolate Cake
- standard measuring cup (240 ml)
- Mixing bowls
- Dutch Oven or any other Heavy Bottomed Pot if baking on stove top
- 1 cup Almond or Soya Milk
- 1 tbsp Vinegar or Lime Juice
- 1 cup Jaggery or Brown Sugar
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil or any other neutral flavored oil
- 1½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Choco Chip
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ cup Finger Millet Flour. Also known as Ragi, Nachni, Madua. You can substitute Finger Millet flour with Whole Wheat Flour.
- ¼ cup Dark Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
Ingredients for the Glaze
- ½ cup Unsweetened Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1 tbsp Dark Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp Plant Butter
- 2 tsp Jaggery or Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Almond or Soy Milk
Prepare Wet Mix
- Add Milk and Vinegar and keep aside for 10 minutes for milk to curdle into buttermilk.
- Add all other ingredients except chocolate chip
- Add dry ingredients to the wet mix.
- Also add choco chips
- Pour batter in a greased and lined baking Pan. This cake will fit into a 6 inch round pan properly.
- If baking in the oven, then bake in a preheated oven @360°F/180°C for 35 minutes. Use the middle rack for baking.
- If baking on stove top, then preheat a heavy bottomed pan or Dutch oven on gas for 15 minutes.
- Place the cake inside.
- Cover with lid and bake for 35 minutes on stove top.
- Take the cake out and let it cool completely.
- You can use the basic sponge as it is for any further dessert or cake.
- For the glaze, add all ingredients in a small dry pan.
- Heat water in a pan. Keep the mix on boiling water and let it melt. You can also microwave it.
- Pour the glaze over the baked cooled cake.
- Make any other decoration as per choice.Enjoy a delicious treat.
12 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories249
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 2.09g 11%
- Sodium 53.36mg 3%
- Potassium 183.83mg 6%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 3.78g 16%
- Sugars 20.65g
- Protein 4.29g 9%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.