Thenga Paal Kozhukattai, Karupatti Paal Kozhukattai
Lets celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi with a delicious offering of Thenga Paal Kozhukattai to Lord Ganesh. Paal Kozhukattai is a traditional dessert from the Chettinad region of South India.
Paal means milk in Tamil. For this recipe , I have used coconut milk which takes this recipe to the next level. Thenga means coconut in Tamil. The traditional recipe for Paal Kozhukattai calls for sugar or jaggery. Here I have used Karupatti which is a jaggery derived from the Palm Tree Sap.
What is Karupatti/Palm Jaggery
Made from the freshly concentrated product of cane sugar and date palm tree, Karupatti (Palm Jaggery) is a treat to the taste buds. Making palm jaggery does not involve using any chemical agents; hence all the natural minerals are retained without preservatives. As a result, Karupatti has proven to have several health benefits.
This recipe, along with being Vegan and Gluten free is also extremely easy to make.The traditional kozhukattai recipe, which is a famous offering to Lord Ganesh during Ganesh Chaturthi is a bit tedious and requires careful preparation. But this Paal kozhukattai recipe is very forgiving and comes out well all the time.
If you want to make the traditional kozhukatti, then please do check below recipes of mine
I hope you will surely try this easy, no fail recipe of Thenga Paal Kozhukattai this Ganesh Chaturthi.
If you want to join me on my journey of wholesome wellness, please like, subscribe, and follow fitnfastrecipes on:
Karupatti Thenga Paal Kozhukattai
- ½ + 1 tbsp cup Rice Flour
- 2 cups Coconut Milk (divided)
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¾ cup Karupatti or Palm Jaggery You can use regular jaggery or brown sugar as a substitute
- ⅕ tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- Add 3/4 cup water to 1/4 cup coconut milk and let it boil.
- Add salt to rice flour and keep it ready in a wide bowl.
- As soon as the water boils, add it gradually to rice.
- Stir with a spatula as the mix will be very hot.
- Cover with a lid and set aside till it turns lukewarm.
- Uncover,add a tsp of sesame oil.
- Make small balls and keep aside.
- In a vessel, add palm jaggery and 1/4 cup of water.
- Heat it so that the jaggery melts.
- Strain to remove any impurities.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of coconut milk to jaggery.
- Keep it back on the flame again and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Drop the prepared rice balls gently. Don't stir for about 3-4 minutes.
- After that stir gently and allow it to boil.
- Once the balls are cooked, they will start floating on top.
- Meanwhile, prepare a slurry by adding 1 tbsp of rice flour to 1/4 cup of coconut milk.
- Add this to the boiling jaggery.Cook for one more minute.
- Add 1 cup of coconut milk and turn off the flame.
- Add cardamom powder.
- Serve Thenga Paal Kozhukattai warm or chilled.
5 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories205
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 6.15g 31%
- Sodium 96.48mg 5%
- Potassium 108.37mg 4%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.2g 5%
- Sugars 21.2g
- Protein 1.59g 4%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.